- PLEASE QUOTE #PJD FOR ALL ENQUIRIES
- Grade 2 Listed Early 19th Century Cottage and Barn
- Separate annexe/outbuilding (The Barn)
- Overlooking the Village Green
- Approx. 1 mile to the Train Station with mainline to London St Pancras
- 3 double bedrooms plus Attic Room
- Double Fronted Accommodation
- 2 Reception Rooms
- Sun Room
- Ground floor WC/Cloakroom
- Family Shower Room
- Courtyard Garden
- Gas Central Heating
Queens Inn Cottage, situated at the heart of Great Bowden overlooking the main Green, this wonderful family home has been sympathetically modernised, while retaining many individual period features. Accommodation over 3 floors with 3 double bedrooms plus attic room, 2 reception rooms, sun room, upstairs and downstairs bathrooms / WC, the property also includes a separate annexe / outbuilding ideal for home office or additional accommodation (subject to Local Authority approval). Please quote #PJD for all enquiries. Viewings on appointment only.
Situated at the heart of this conservation village overlooking the main Green, this former Coaching Inn is believed to have been constructed in 1837 and offers a unique opportunity to acquire a spacious family home that has been sympathetically modernised and tastefully decorated, retaining many individual and period features across three floors.
There is a very useful, separate, two-storey building to the rear known as The Barn which was formerly used as living accommodation but more recently for storage following the removal of the bathroom appliances. Plumbing is still connected and there is underfloor heating which may make this a most desirable office/studio or conversion to an Airbnb (Subject to Local Authority consents and approvals.) Prospective buyers are advised to make their own enquiries regarding alternative uses before legal commitment to purchase.
Accessed by a solid wood door from the road. Multi-panel bay window overlooking The Green, open fireplace with solid oak mantel and inset cast iron multi-fuel burner, laminate oak flooring, central ceiling beam, radiator.
Multi-panel bay window overlooking The Green, Laminate oak flooring, open fireplace, radiator.
Pine door and stairs to the first floor, radiator.
Washbasin, WC, built-in corner cupboard, under stairs store cupboard, window to rear.
Fitted with a range of wall and base cupboards with solid wood worktops, sink unit, 7 ring gas cooker range, fitted dishwasher, arched serving hatch to lounge, rear window overlooking sun lounge.
Double glazed door to the outside, radiator, access to sun lounge.
Double glazed windows and double glazed French doors leading to the courtyard garden, tiled floor, radiator, pitched perspex roof.
Main Landing with timber balustrade and doors to three double bedrooms and shower room.
Multi paned sash window overlooking The Green, period cast iron Victorian style open fireplace, double and single fitted wardrobes with pine doors, exposed timber flooring, radiator.
Multi paned sash window overlooking The Green, two fitted single wardrobes with pine doors, radiator.
Window overlooking rear garden, period cast iron Victorian style open fireplace, fitted double wardrobe with pine doors, alcove shelving, radiator.
Family Shower Room
Modern double shower cubicle, twin sink unit, WC, part tiled walls, laminate flooring, radiator.
With staircase rising to the second-floor attic room and walk-in cupboard housing gas-fired boiler.
Exposed A frame roof beams, fitted double wardrobe, pitched restricted height ceiling, under eaves storage cupboards two Velux roof windows, radiator.
THE BARN/ ANNEXE
Utility/Store/ former shower room
Accessed via a wooden door having a tiled floor with under-floor electric heating, side window, plumbing for shower room fittings.
Multi-purpose room (subject to Local Authority consents and approvals) with two Velux windows, power points.
There is a side gated private access to the rear garden and Annexe. The rear garden is enclosed by high walling and fencing providing ample privacy. It is mainly paved with raised flower beds and a sunny Southerly facing patio area.
COUNCIL TAX BAND F
GREAT BOWDEN VILLAGE
Great Bowden is one of the most highly sought after conservation villages in the county, renowned for the quality housing stock and strong community spirit. Lying on the edge of the Welland Valley in the Harborough District of Leicestershire, this picturesque village has a history dating back to Anglo Saxon times and is surrounded by beautiful countryside.
At the heart of the village are three unique village greens, fringed by a variety of attractive individually styled houses and cottages. There are good local amenities including a village Church, Bowden Stores and Welton's providing a local Post Office, delicatessen and café. The village also has two popular public houses, each with its own beer gardens: The Shoulder of Mutton and The Red Lion; the Ofsted rated Outstanding Great Bowden Academy Primary School and Bowden Pre School, located in the Village Hall. For sporting enthusiasts, it is the home of the Great Bowden Cricket Club and Market Harborough Tennis Club.
Despite its rural setting, Great Bowden is very accessible. The market town of Market Harborough is just over a mile away and offers a more comprehensive range of schools, shops, restaurants and recreational facilities.
Market Harborough train station is within walking distance and offers mainline access to London St Pancras within the hour, making the area an excellent location for those wishing to travel regularly to London for leisure or work purposes. Road links are excellent with the A14, M1 and M6 all within easy distance, providing access to London and Birmingham, whilst the A6 leads to Leicester and A508 to Northampton.
HISTORICAL NOTE- QUEENS INN COTTAGE
Reference to the public house is first found in the 1841 census when the publican was William Willis. The property was originally owned by one Sam Harris who also owned a brickyard near Market Harborough Station. It is believed that Sam built the Coaching Inn just after Queen Victoria acceded to the throne in 1837. Originally known as The Victoria it was by 1850 referred to as The Queen. The last known reference to it as a public house is in Greens Trade Directory of 1916. The name changed to Queens Inn Cottage when it was converted to residential use sometime after.
From Market Harborough, proceed along St Mary's Road into Rockingham Road. At the A6 roundabout take the first exit as signposted to Great Bowden along Dingley Road. At the centre of the village, turn right onto The Green.
Viewings on appointment only.